Getting to know the Glycemic Index
- Glycemic Index (GI) is a number associated with a particular type of food that indicates
- the food’s effect on a person’s blood glucose (also called blood sugar) level.
What are the benefits of low GI?
- Low GI foods release sugar slowly into
your body over a given
- period of time.They are shown to:
- Improve blood glucose control
- Facilitate weight management
- Help manage diabetes better
- Help manage cholesterol levels for a healthy heart
What are the guidelines to be followed by people with High Sugar?
- Main source of carbohydrate should be cereals, mixed coarse grains, whole pulses
- Avoid sugar, honey and sweets
- Oils containing linoleic acid only such as ground nut, sesame, cotton seed, rice
bran and safflower should be used along with oils containing alpha – linoleic acid
such as soybean, mustard, canola etc
- Exercise must be done regularly. Brisk walk for 30-60 minutes or its equivalent
* Guidelines for management of Type 2 Diabetes, Indian Council of Medical Research